3, 2, 1…Take off!

Image Source

Over the past week you have been working with Mr Fallon to learn more about space science. You have had the opportunity to learn why the moon has different phases and how that affects the tides. Your task this week is to research one of the planets in our solar system. Find out how long the planet takes to orbit the sun (year length); how long the planet takes to rotate on it’s axis (day length); it’s gravity compared to earth (related to the size of the planet); the environmental and climatic conditions on that planet and how far it is from earth.

Using this information, create a postcard to send back to earth. Make sure you include a creative commons image and links to any resources used.

Alternatively, you could write a postcard from the International Space Station, the Hubble Telescope or a satellite, describing it’s structure and function. Again, make sure you include a CC image and links to any resources used. This work is due on Monday 21st October.

If you finish early there are some other cool spacey things you can do –

• Galaxy Zoo is a citizen science project, where you can help to identify galaxies from photographs. To understand how galaxies formed, scientists need your help to classify them according to their shapes. If you’re quick, you may even be the first person to see the galaxies you’re asked to classify!
  • Paul Floyd’s Astronomy and Space Site has a list of October 2013 Sky and Space events that you might like to look for from your home tonight. He also writes a student newsletter “Amazing Space” that includes finder charts for locating mercury, Venus and Saturn without the need for a telescope, Moon phase information for October to December and finder charts for locating the Southern Cross and Scorpius (the ancient Greek constellation – the Scorpion).
  • ABC Splash have some great videos and other resources that you may be interested in.

This entry was posted in Space Science, Year 8 by brittgow. Bookmark the permalink.

About brittgow

I am a Science and Maths teacher at a small rural school in western Victoria, Australia. I live on a sheep property with my husband and two children, who also attend Hawkesdale P12 College. I am passionate about education for sustainability, indigenous flora and fauna and love teaching!

2 thoughts on “3, 2, 1…Take off!

1. The program was educational. I liked how you got to walk around in your research facility. I learnt that sputnik was the first satelite.