Year 7 and 9: Light and Sound

Learning Intention: Students will understand that light and sound are forms of energy that can be transmitted through air, water and some solids. They will know that light and sound move as waves. They will distinguish between conduction, convection, absorption, reflection, transmission and radiation.

Success Criteria: Students will be able to describe how different types of energy (mechanical, chemical and electrical) can be transformed into light and sound, and describe the movement of light and sound as waves. They will complete various practical experiments and produce written or verbal reports describing their results.

What does luminous, incandescent and flourescent mean?
How do bio-luminescent organisms (glow-worms, some deep sea fish and phosphorescent algae) produce light?
What makes a rainbow?
What are polarised sunglasses?
Why can’t you see through tinted windows?
How do some animals see in the dark?
Why can’t anyone hear you scream in space?
What is a wave?
Why can’t humans hear sounds that some animals can? (a dog whistle for example)
Which travels faster – light or sound?

“How Stuff Works” is a great site for finding out more about light and sound.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by brittgow. Bookmark the permalink.

About brittgow

I am a Science and Maths teacher at a small rural school in western Victoria, Australia. I live on a sheep property with my husband and two children, who also attend Hawkesdale P12 College. I am passionate about education for sustainability, indigenous flora and fauna and love teaching!