Learning Intention: Students will understand that the earth is composed of several layers, including a solid iron/nickel core, molten outer core, upper and lower mantle (magma) and crust. Students will also be able to use a compass to draw concentric circles.
Success Criteria: Students will draw a labelled diagram showing the cross section of the earth.
- How thick is the earth’s crust?
- What minerals are the different layers composed of?
- How does the temperature change inside the earth?
- What is the deepest hole in the earth?
- What makes the earth shake?
- What causes volcanoes and tsunamis?
- What causes the seasons?
- What is the greenhouse effect?
- Where is the ozone layer?
- How can volcanoes appear from nowhere?
What caused the recent earthquakes in Australia, given that we are not located on the edge of a continental plate?