Welcome Back – Year 9 Science 2012!

Welcome back to school for another fabulous year of science and learning! Please bookmark this site for future reference as this will be the starting point for all our science studies during the year. Our first unit of work will build on your knowledge of matter, atoms and molecules, elements and compounds and chemical reactions.

Learning Intention:

(1) Students will understand that all matter is made of atoms which are composed of protons, neutrons and electrons; natural radioactivity arises from the decay of nuclei in atoms.

(2) They will know that chemical reactions involve rearranging atoms to form new substances; during a chemical reaction, mass is not created or destroyed.

(3) Students will understand chemical reactions, including combustion and the reactions of acids, are important in both non-living and living systems and involve energy transfer.

This entry was posted in Chemistry and tagged , , , by brittgow. Bookmark the permalink.

About brittgow

I am a Science and Maths teacher at a small rural school in western Victoria, Australia. I live on a sheep property with my husband and two children, who also attend Hawkesdale P12 College. I am passionate about education for sustainability, indigenous flora and fauna and love teaching!