Year 7: The Solar System

observable_universe

Learning Intention: To understand how technology has contributed to our knowledge of our solar system and beyond and to be able to describe the characteristics of planets and other objects in space.

Success Criteria: You will be able to list and describe our sun and it’s terrestrial planets and gas giants, as well as asteroids, comets, meteorites and other space objects. You will be able to list and describe some of the inventions and equipment that has enabled us to probe space and gather and send back data.

We are starting a new unit of work, looking at our Solar System, which consists of our nearest star (the Sun) and the eight planets that orbit it. Your first task is to list as many different space-related objects from the picture above, that you know the names of. Then go to this scavenger hunt and download the questions. You will find the answers at the Solar Systems and Planets page at the Science.spot KidZone. You may also find some answers at The Nine Planets; “Our Solar System” and “Amazing Space
When you have finished these directed questions, you are asked to produce a digital product that answers one of the following open-ended questions:

1. How has technology contributed to human understanding of how the earth formed and our planet in relation to the solar system? Make sure you describe some of the inventions that have helped us to discover more about the planets.
2. What do you think would be required to make it possible for humans to survive on other planets? Make sure you describe the environmental conditions on at least two different planets.

Your work can be presented as a slideshow, video, e-poster or magazine article. Please leave a comment on this post with a link to your blog where you have embedded your Slideshow using Slideshare.

Jade’s blog post
Jasmine’s blog post
Elektra’s blog post
Sophie’s project
Jobe’s blog post
Tobie’s blog post
Sam’s blog post
Messiah’s blog post
Tayla’s blog post
Chris G.’s blog post
Emalee’s blog post
Helen’s blog post
Alex’s blog post

This entry was posted in Space Science, Year 7 and tagged , , , by brittgow. Bookmark the permalink.

About brittgow

I am a Science and Maths teacher at a small rural school in western Victoria, Australia. I live on a sheep property with my husband and two children, who also attend Hawkesdale P12 College. I am passionate about education for sustainability, indigenous flora and fauna and love teaching!

3 thoughts on “Year 7: The Solar System

1. I love this topic. 😀
    Consider using Celestia to take a virtual “tour” solar system. Just hit 1, g to go to Mercury, 2,g Venus etc.
    I get my students to describe the planets and use a thesaurus to find other adjectives to build their vocab while we orbit a planet. Others are asked to research any probes that have been to the planet. Next planet and roles are reversed.
    Another activity I do is use Stellarium in fast forward to show how the planets “wander” to differentiate them from the stars.
    I have also gotten Yr 7’s to act out a scale model of the solar system. Each creates a picture and stands at the correct scale distance from the “Sun” while a student acts as a probe and carries a video camera to visit each “planet”. Each “planet” has to describe themselves as the “probe” swings by. I then edit it up and we play it back to the class. Fun.
    (I know it doesn’t match your objectives, but they are some of the things I do with my Yr 7/8’s)
    Cheers

2. Thanks so much for your comment and the great ideas you have shared here. I think the planet role play will suit some of my very kinesthetic Year 7 boys! Some of my students have been watching ABC ‘s “Voyage to the Planets”, which has been on while we have been working on this unit. Celestia and Stellarium sound fabulous too.