Year 7: ‘Dem Good ol’ Bones

205px-Skeleton
Learning Intention: To understand the structure and function of the mammalian skeleton. Success Criteria: You will be able to correctly answer the questions in the text and describe how the skeleton works.
Did you know that the adult human skeleton contains over 200 separate bones – but a baby has even more! Find out three important jobs that bones do, what they are made of and the minerals required to keep them strong and healthy. What happens to broken bones and what is osteoporosis?
While I am away on Wednesday, you are asked to read pages 274 and 275 “Bones on the Move” and answer the Remember, Think and Investigate quesions (Q1 to 8).
When you have finished, you have a choice of two activities. The first activity is to create a model hand, using cardboard, string and staples. Go to the Science Kids website for instructions. The second activity is to create a QR (Quick Response) code with the scientific and common name of some of the more prominent bones in the skeleton. To do this, go to QR stuff or kaywa qr codes and type in both names of the bone (skull and cranium; breastbone and sternum for example). Save and print your QR code and then attach it to the appropriate bone in the skeleton model.

This entry was posted in Biology, ICT and tagged , , by brittgow. Bookmark the permalink.

About brittgow

I am a Science and Maths teacher at a small rural school in western Victoria, Australia. I live on a sheep property with my husband and two children, who also attend Hawkesdale P12 College. I am passionate about education for sustainability, indigenous flora and fauna and love teaching!