Year 8 Science: Human Body Systems

arteries and qr code
Each student chooses an organ from either the circulatory, respiratory, digestive or excretory system. They write a web page on a wiki, describing the structure and function of that organ, including labelled diagrams. They write five “I am” statements about the organ and then find out two other organs attached to their organ and link their page to those two pages. They then create a QR code for the answer (heart, arteries, lungs etc) at either of these two sites: QR code or kaywa qr codes with the URL link that directs the reader to their wiki page. The QR code is then attached to the appropriate organ in the human torso model.

For example: “I am an organ in the circulatory system that carries oxygenated blood from the heart. I have thick, muscular walls, no valves and lead to the capillaries.” The QR code scans to produce the link to the wiki page with the answer, “Arteries”, and all the information about that organ. This page would be linked to the heart and capillaries pages.

4 thoughts on “Year 8 Science: Human Body Systems

1. Pingback: Year 8 Science: Human Body Systems | Technoscience | QR Codes in K-12 Education | Scoop.it

2. Britt, I like this use of QR codes in this science unit/lesson. Do you have a sample of the actual student page? I’d like to adapt this for my 5th grade human skeletal system unit. Thanks for sharing your idea and @janning for including your article in the scoop.it she curates.

3. Thanks Sheryl,
    This is the task for students – when they have completed the work I will send you a link or add it here. We found that the QR codes worked best with just the URL and name of the organ, rather than the description of the organ itself (too much information).

4. Pingback: Year 8 Science: Human Body Systems | Technoscience | Science Tools for School | Scoop.it